Columbus Play Adventures Part 2

This weekend was my second big trip to Columbus, though this one was much shorter in that I was in Ohio for less than 24 hours. Intially, Stuart and I had planned to make it a mini-adventure, but between us both having to work and being poor, it didn’t work out. So I worked until three on Saturday and then headed to the Philadelphia airport for my flight to Columbus.

I’ve flown by myself before, when I went to my friend Katie’s wedding in Texas, but even then, I was picked up and dropped off by someone at the airport. This was the first time I was doing all of it on my own. I learned many things very quickly, like that “short term parking” does not include “just one night” and that bus rides are awkward when it’s you and the bus driver. But I made it through security in more than enough time to have something to eat and to charge my phone in the freezing waiting area.

The flight was drama-free, and as a bonus, we landed twenty minutes earlier than expected. The only thing that wasn’t great was the ear popping. I haven’t flown or been up to the mountains for years, so it’s been awhile since I experienced the sensation. When I was younger, my ears would pop simply going on a hike with my Brownie troop, but the sensitivity has lessened over the years. Saturday night, though, they were a little moreso: I couldn’t hear anything. When the steward (are we supposed to call them “air hosts” now?) came by to take drink orders, I didn’t know what he was asking. I thought it was because I had my earbuds in, but even after I took them out and asked twice more what he said, I didn’t understand until he mimed drinking. I really wanted soda, because I’m an addict, but I knew I’d never be able to hear the selection, so I just ordered water.

I had called my hotel before I left to see if they had a shuttle service from the airport. Their website says they do, but apparently it lies, because the receptionist sounded shocked that I even asked. But I wasn’t going to change my reservation, so I took the sole taxi outside of the airport and was at my hotel by 10:30. I stayed up for awhile and really wanted to finish watching Bridesmaids on USA, but I was so exhausted that I said goodnight to Kristen Wiig and went to bed.

When my mom and I stayed at this same hotel last week, we were awoken by the alarm going off at 5 a.m. the first night (morning.) The second night, the child in the room next door woke us up around the same time screaming “BROWN BEAR!” over and over for hours. We were woken up again the next night by banging on the walls around the same time. And the hotel curse is apparently not reserved for that particular branch, because at five a.m. this morning, I was startled awake by three dogs screaming. Not howling, not barking. Screaming. This hotel chain is pet-friendly, which would generally be cool with me. But these dogs, who were in the room above me, screamed and cried for HOURS. It was to the point where I got out of bed and went out onto the patio to see what was going on. I couldn’t tell of course, but after a few hours of the yowling, I started to get legitimately concerned. I have heard the sounds of animals in distress, and the only cause I could think of for dogs crying for that long unscolded was that their owner had died in her bed and they had discovered her. I actually considered calling the front desk (or the police) but I was so tired that I couldn’t think of anything to tell them except “I think the person above me got murdered and her dogs are sad.”

In the end, the only way I could block out the noise enough to sleep was to put my earbuds in and turn the volume up to an uncomfortable level for sleeping. It worked, but I still woke up only in time to get ready for the show sanely.

The workshop was at the public library in Upper Arlington, which is really nice and has a small theatre space in the basement. The director was really nice and so were my actors, one of whom I identified because she was holding her two props (a blanket and cigarettes) when she arrived. My play was one of three, and as it turns out, all of the plays consisted of two characters and involved couples (or, in my play’s case, a former couple) in conflict.

It’s been awhile since I looked at this play of mine, but I’ve been proud of it since I wrote it. It’s been through five drafts since I penned it during a bad insomnia-plagued night in July of 2012, and I’ve always considered it to be one of the best things I’ve written. And in some ways, it is. The characters are complex, they talk about important issues, it has both drama and comedy. But after seeing it performed, it needs a LOT of work. The play is, in part, about someone dealing with depression. When I wrote the play, I hadn’t been diagnosed and wouldn’t be for another six months, but I sensed something was wrong and one of the characters describes the symptoms I was feeling. At the time, I didn’t know (or didn’t want to know) what was wrong with me, and so the character’s verbose hashing out of her discomfort worked in my eyes. But now, nearly a year after my diagnosis, I cringed at how much the play sounds like a PSA about depression. I’m glad I wrote a play about it: it’s accurate and it’s still going to be one of the focal points, but now that I’m an Official Depressed Person, I know that the way she talks about her illness is not believable. So, just as with my other play, it’s back to the drawing board with this one. I’m not complaining, though; all of these changes are making the plays better, and hopefully ready to be accepted by a higher caliber of theatre.


On the way home, I got to the airport very early, had dinner, and wiled away the hour and a half or so before my flight reading. But then the tornado warnings came in from Illinois, and my flight was delayed by forty minutes. Not a terrible amount, but the warnings kept coming in and other flights kept getting delayed to the point where I wondered if I’d get home in time for my audition the next morning. I did, though, and everything went smoothly once I got on the plane. I was and am still exhausted, but I’m glad I got to go.


2 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Katie
    Nov 19, 2013 @ 23:59:40

    I think it’s “Flight Attendant” for most airlines- at least that’s how they were self-identifying on that article we talked about re: FAA regs.

    BTW it’s totally legitimate to call the front desk about a disturbance like that. I can’t remember if I told you about our old neighbors who fought till 3 am and I really thought it was going to be a domestic violence situation so we called the police who responded shockingly quick and were *very* effective. I think the actual call was more ‘It’s 3AM. They’re loud and throwing things. We want to sleep. Please do something” than voicing a concern that we were going to have blood dripping through the ceiling in the morning (thank you Tess of D’somethingoranother)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: